Students are encouraged to bring a personal computer to campus with them for use in class or in their dorm rooms. Below are the minimum system requirements for access to our network:
- Microsoft Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, or Apple Mac OS X.
Please note that Windows 95, 98, ME, NT or 2000 systems are prohibited from accessing the network.
- Microsoft Security Essentials, provided for free by Microsoft. (Windows only, more information)
- Cisco Clean Access Agent, provided for free by the university.
- All current Microsoft issued Windows Updates as verifed by the Cisco Clean Access software. (Windows only)
- Either a wireless network card that supports at least 802.11b (although 802.11g is recommended) or a wired network card with a 10/100 interface. The Help Desk, on request, will provide you with a Cat5e cable necessary to plug your computer into the wall outlets in your dorm room.
In addition to the minimum requirements, we recommend the following for all systems on campus:
- A recent copy of Microsoft Office. The most recent versions are Microsoft Office 2007 for Windows and Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac.
- A warranty on your computer system to protect your investment from mechanical failure. In addition to the standard warranty, on laptops it is wise to invest in a "no fault" protection plan so that you can replace your system in the event that it is dropped or damaged.
- Stick with a major name brand system, like Dell, HP or Apple. Rockhurst students can receive discounts on computer purchases through dell from this website.